When I was a kid, my mother met this guy and she ended up marrying him. He was super nice to me, gave me gifts and he loved me. Around the age of 5, he started touching me and doing other inappropriate acts with me. What confuses me the most is the fact that I enjoyed most of it, even when it was painful. I don’t really see it as abuse, even though my therapist says it was. I don’t understand why someone I trusted would do that to me, and why it’s still haunting me to this day. The abuse went on until I was around 12, and then I never saw him again because I moved in with my dad. I don’t understand what I’m feeling or why.
- You are very brave to come here and ask for help.
- Try to share all these feelings you’re experiencing right now with your therapist. It could be that she/he is unaware of how deeply this incident has impacted you.
- Whatever happened to you at the hands of this adult was not your fault in any way, shape or form. This person took advantage of you when you were only 5 years old.
- You didn’t mention in your story whether this individual was held accountable for his actions. If not, it’s important that you encourage your dad (or mom) to have him prosecuted to the fullest.
- We cannot always control what happens to us but we can control how we react to it.
- What are your hobbies and interests? What can you do to get out of the house and get your mind off things?
- Other than speaking to your therapist, who else do you feel comfortable sharing your feelings with?
- Who makes up social circle and support network?