I’m me, but sometimes I feel like I’m not me. And well, I guess I just feel depressed a lot. And I think I’m unacceptable by my father and brother, and it hurts me to know if I were to have a girlfriend that they would disown me. My mom accepts me, gratefully. I love all of them but… Oh, I’m bisexual by the way. I hope I can inspire some people somehow in knowing that I’m going to keep trying and I’m not going to give up. And I would also accept any advice I can get. My parents are divorced. I live with my mom and my brother. My dad doesn’t know I’m bi. I want to tell him, but he wouldn’t be accepting; I know because he literally said that he would disown me if I came out as gay or bisexual. Thanks for creating this. I will accept any advice you can offer. And I hope I can inspire someone since I’m going to keep going, though I’m struggling. Thank you.
- Many people feel anxious or nervous about telling their loved ones something they feel may make them uncomfortable. You are not alone in feeling nervous about telling your dad how you feel.
- You mentioned your desire to inspire others through your strength and perseverance, which is brave and inspiring in itself. Continue to be aware of your feelings and don’t neglect your feelings.
- Despite what your dad told you before regarding your coming out, consider how it feels to not be honest with him and to have to keep a secret from him. Think about how much he loves and cares for you and consider talking to him with a neutral person there to help you.
- Having tough conversations with anyone can be daunting. It may help you to write your thoughts down to get your point across in the best way possible before trying to discuss with your dad and brother. Since your mom knows what’s going on, consider having her be there for moral support when you have your discussion.
- How do you think your dad will react to your coming out? If he was upset, how long do you think those feelings would last for him?
- How would you feel if you kept your feelings away from your dad? Do you two have an open relationship that allows for honesty and a safe space?
- How did your mom react to your news? Do you think you would be happy or relieved after telling your dad?