How do I stop?
I recently started school again, and on the very first week, I collapsed. I had experienced anxiety attacks before, but this one was a completely different level; I felt like I was running out of breath, I could not swallow, my heart was pounding like crazy, and a river of tears started streaming down my cheeks. I felt suffocated, and helpless; school had knocked me over on my very first week.
I have always been a great student without ever truly worrying about it, but now due to the pandemic I have started feeling anxious and overthinking every single move I take -I cannot even answer a question on our online classes without overanalyzing every single word I said afterwards- and now I feel like my good grades and my future are slipping out of my hands without the slightest idea how to stop it. I don’t want this stress that is slowly but painfully killing me inside, I want to feel careless and really enjoy my senior year of high school like it deserves.
I feel like I am walking on a rope with a blindfold on; I don’t know where I am going and how to open my eyes and finally see again.
Welcome to Teen Central! We are so glad that you have chosen to confide within this community designed for young people dealing with tough issues like anxiety. Yes, the pandemic has made it challenging for seniors to enjoy their last year experience they deserve, just like you. You are not alone in your fears with the current direction schooling has taken. Be proud of yourself for reaching out for help!
HELP YOURSELF NOW
- With everything you’re dealing with, it’s important that you take time to balance the overwhelming stress by bringing as much support and peace into your life as possible. It will not always be this way. You are reacting to a long period of time that your life has been changed. You can, and will, get through this.
- If you ever feel like your anxiety is reaching a critical level, there are lots of ways to get help immediately and talk to someone. If you like texting, you can text HELLO to 741741, or you can call 1-800-273-8255. Someone is available 24/7.
- Do you have anyone in your life that you can talk to about how you’re feeling? You’re not alone in feeling anxious, uncertain and like your life has been turned upside down. We are all going through this together. Try telling someone how you feel and what you’re going through. Sharing our experiences with another person helps us feel less alone and the support we get from others can help us get out of our heads.
WHERE TO GO FROM HERE
- If you haven’t already may we suggest you brose around in Teen Central. It sounds like you’re already familiar with anxiety, but there’s information about Anxiety in the LEARN tab that may help you.
- The TOOLS tab shares Wellness/Relaxation information, and within it, guidance about deep breathing exercises and other ways to use mindfulness and meditation. Think about how much time you give to being anxious. Maybe spending a quarter of that amount of time using relaxation skills could make a world of difference for you. There’s no right or wrong way to relax.
- WHATS NEW tab touches base on the Covid-19 related experiences, coping skills and more.
- Last, but not least, Self Positive Talk – continue to take care of you. Find that something that reminds you of the strength already inside of you.