How to help a friend with anxiety
I have a boyfriend I love very much who has anxiety. Sometimes when we’re together or when we’re on the phone he will start to have panic attacks. I’ve asked him what he wants me to do when this happens and he’s said to give him some space which I do my best to do. And sometimes when they’re really bad, I’ll text his mom and let her know. But I’m always paranoid that I’m either not doing enough or I’m doing something wrong. Is there anything else I can do? Is there anything I’m doing wrong?
- Thank you for sharing your experience. You are doing a great job dealing with a friend/ boy friend who is dealing with anxiety.
- First of all, you are listening to what he needs. He shared he needs some space and it sounds like you are giving that. You are also sharing important information with his parents as needed.
- Never feel that you need to go through this alone, or that he does. Telling a trusted adult is critical to help him get the help he needs.
- Hopefully, he is seeing a professional. If he is open to having you attend a session, that might be a good place to start. There are so many factors when dealing with anxiety.
- You might want to see a professional yourself who can help you process managing the anxiety of another person.
- What can you do to keep your mind positive when your boyfriend is asking for space?
- Who can you reach out if you need to talk to someone about the stress you are feeling?
- What are ways you can show you support him?