I am 14 years old and I suffer with Manic Psychotic Disorder. It is similar to Schizoaffective disorder without the depression lows, and more of an intense sadness periods of time. I was in a psychiatric hospital because I wanted to overdose. I am now on Abilify and Prozac. I am doing good on them but my mood feels sad. I think Prozac might not be the one for me. I have cut recently for the second time and I think in-patient might be the best thing for me at the moment.
- Thank you for reaching out to TeenCentral. Suffering from any mental illness can have its intense moments, and is to be taken seriously. Rest assured that other teens here at TeenCentral can, at some level, relate to your situation.
- It is important that you share your current concerns and needs with a trusted adult. It is also recommended that you speak to the doctor who prescribed you your medication in order to further assist you with addressing the side effects you have encountered.
- There are plenty of other sources that are available to you 24/7. There is the Crisis Textline that is an easy source if you feel most comfortable reaching out via text. Text “HELLO” to 741741 or visit their site at www.crisistextline.org There is also The National Suicide Hotline that is available via phone at 1-800-273-8255 and their site is www..suicidepreventionlifeline.org and lastly, The Substance Abuse Mental Health Awareness National Helpline that can be reached at 1-800-662-4357 which is available for both English and Spanish speakers and also has a site you can visit https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline Do not hesitate you to use any of the sources mention above.
- Remember that no matter what is going on around you or within you, there is always a solution. You matter and your life matters.
- Some people find it therapeutic to write or draw when they’re feeling down or depressed. Others prefer music or exercise. Consider this the next time you’re feeling down and alone.
- How do you feel about contacting your doctor to further discuss your prescriptions side effects?
- Who in your life is currently aware of your situation? How can you make someone aware of what you’re feeling right now?
- In what ways are those people being supportive or helpful?
- What is your next step while considering being an inpatient?
- What sort of detours do you use when you’re feeling overwhelmed with sadness?
- How do you feel about contacting any of those resources that were mentioned in the Consider This section above?