My mum wants us to move to a very distant city in summer. I lived in the same place since I was 3 years old, and now I am 13. I have all my friends and memories here. What I can do?
THINGS YOU CAN DO FIRST
- Thank you for reaching out to the Teen Central community especially as you are having such a rough time. Be proud of yourself for having the courage to speak out and be open about your feelings.
- I hear that you are possibly nervous, sad, or upset about your mother wanting to move far away from your current home. It is always difficult when your life changes due to circumstances out of your control. While you might not be able to change the circumstance, you can still communication your feelings to your mother. Don’t assume she knows what you are thinking and feeling.
- If you click on our “LEARN” tab, there is an entire section on “Grief and Loss” that may be helpful and offer you some comfort during these really tough times. Grief and loss are not always about losing a person – sometimes it can mean a different kind of loss. So, look through this section and see if the information is helpful to you.
WHEN YOU ARE READY
- Focus on the positives, by focusing on the time you have to create memories, plan, and find new ways to stay in touch with your friends rather than staying stuck on the idea of leaving. Perhaps this will be a new beginning where you strengthen old friendships and find new great friends, places, or opportunities.
- Create a memory book to take along with you- include pictures, write down memories and save contact information for friends.
- Look up some of the cool things you can see or do in the new place you are moving.
- Try talking to someone in your life that you trust and feel close to. Creating an open discussion will help you identify your feelings and maybe get some new ideas.
- Find some ways to take care of yourself during this transition. Check our Teen Central TOOLS tab and the WHAT’S NEW tab for some great ideas such as journaling, art, getting outside, or picking up a new hobby.