I am dealing with my out of control teenager. She is becoming disrespectful, talking back, not listening to orders or rules. She feels she can do what she wants without consequences. I feel I’ve lost control and don’t know what to do.
- Teenage years are difficult many changes are happening from body changes to different feelings towards the world and them in it. This is the time they need the most understanding from their parents. Things are changing for you as well and it is hard to let go of your children.
- Maybe look into talking with other parents about positive reinforcement and discipline. Though this may seem counter intuitive it can model a different way of talking with your teenager.
- There is so much information online and on Teencentral.com that could help see the perspective of a teenager to better understand what is happening to them and what you can do together to get through this challenging time.
- Talking with your daughter about your feelings and not blaming her for anything could also help see your side. Use words like “I feel this way…” so she does not feel like you are attacking her because if she does she will also get defensive.
- Maybe take some time to get to know each other again. Go get some coffee or go to a movie and see what her thoughts were on it. People want to be heard and maybe like you she does not feel like she is being heard.
- What would happen if you reached out to other parents or a support group during this time to see another way of working with your daughter?
- What do you think you can find online or on Teencentral.com to help you see your daughters perspective?
- What would happen if you talked with your daughter just about how you feel without blaming?
- What are some things that you can do together to reconnect as parent and daughter so both of you feel heard?