So, hi! This might be a little weird one, but I’ve kind of struggled with this for a while. So, there’s a thing called furries, and it’s basically people who identify with animals, and dress like them and the sort. Well, I feel like I have an interest in this area, yet I have so much judgement for it that I’m too embarrassed and ashamed to do/say anything. I just want to explore my interests, but I feel like this interest is “bad” and it would be dangerous to explore it. I do obsess over things too. Also, people make a lot of furry jokes and stuff like that, and I’m like, “Of course I’m not a furry,” even when I think it’s kind of cool? I don’t know. Maybe y’all don’t even know what I’m talking about. I just feel trapped. I don’t even know what I want. Or maybe I’m just saying that. I don’t want to hurt anyone. I don’t want to hurt myself either. I want to explore my curiosities and identities, I just don’t want them to get out of hand!
I know this is so weird.
- First, I want to thank you for reaching out to TeenCentral. It takes a lot of courage to tell your story. Growing up is hard and working through all the things that come up in life can be difficult for everyone. Be proud of yourself.
- Talking to an adult you can trust about your feelings is a good place to start. Do you have anyone that you can reach out to? Like a parent, teacher or school counselor. A lot of times these people have gone through things like you are now. They have good advice and can help direct you in your decisions. Curiosity is something that many adolescents go through, by talking to someone you may feel more at ease.
- There are a lot of tools you can use here on the TeenCentral site. Take a look and read some of the stories that might relate to your situation. Here you will find information and small activities to get you started on many topics such as Wellness, Depression, Strength Trainings, Daily Task Chart, Daily Schedule, and Self Positive Talk.
- Maybe you can find a way to express yourself through journaling and write down your feelings. This can help you to put things in perspective and help you get out your feelings.
- Remember that you are not weird and having interest in different things is a normal part of life.