Some times i just want to be free. It feels like my mom is mad at me all the time. She can never stop yelling. I feel like running away sometimes but I know that there are good and bad causes to it. I still can’t believe that I have parental controls on my phone. While my friends are enjoying their lives.
- It sounds like you are feeling very overwhelmed at the moment. Those feelings are normal, particularly at times like these. Sometimes when we feel like we have no where to turn to, it is hard to express our thoughts and emotions. Thank you for reaching out to Teen Central, it is a great first step.
- Arguments with parents can be frustrating and can make you feel trapped in your own home. If you are having those thoughts of potentially running away from home, we encourage you to seek immediate assistance. You can simply text “Hello” to 741741. The crisis textline offers support for anyone in crisis 24 hours a day. If you click on the “Help” tab on Teen Central, there are other support networks that you may find helpful during this time.
- You said that it is hard to talk to your mom about how you are feeling, but what about someone else you can open up to? Is there anyone in your life that you feel safe talking to about whats going on right now? This can be anyone, a friend, older sibling/cousin, a neighbor? Sometimes when we get those feelings out, we end up feeling better afterwards. Like a weight lifted off our shoulders. Think about it.
- Often times when we compare ourselves to others, we end up thinking about the things we don’t have, rather than the awesome things we do have. Why don’t you try writing a list of all of the positive things you have going on in your life. What are you good at? What makes you smile? Seeing all of the great aspects of your life on paper is sure to make you feel better.
- If you are feeling trapped at home, why not take this opportunity to get outside. Being able to connect with nature (even if its just the sun and the air) can help calm some of the big emotions you are feeling. Take a quick walk around the block or sit outside and read. Just opening a window can shift your mood in a more positive way. And make you feel less trapped at home.
- If you are looking for ideas of what to do either at home or outside, check out the “What’s New” tab on Teen Central. There is a list of great things you can do to keep yourself busy while you’re stuck at home. Maybe one of those activities you could do with your mom to start opening the lines of communication. It might just be the connection you need to be able to tell her how you are feeling!