I’ve been feeling really lonely lately. I feel like I’m losing all of my closest friends and that nobody cares about me anymore. I really want to make new friends and start over, but I’m really shy and my town is really small. I’m worried that I’m falling into depression. I just don’t have energy to do anything anymore. I’m sad all the time, and I just want to run away. Any advice on how to make new friends and get out of this slump?
- It’s hard going though depression. People do care about you and want to be your friend,
- Examine why your old friendships are falling apart. If you feel like you still want to be friends with them talk to them about your concerns about your friendship and the fact that you feel your friendship is drifting apart.
- Get more involved in your school and community by joining clubs and events sponsored by your town. Look in your community newspaper for events to join.
- Be more active outdoors. Exercise helps improve mood.
- Being shy can make staring new friendships difficult. Start by finding people that share your same interests and discuss those interests with them.
- What events have lead up to you feeling sad and depressed?
- What do you think your friends would say to you if you talked to them about your feelings of them not caring?
- What steps can you take to get more involved in school and community activities?