Please help! I have about fourteen days to convince my dad that I can have my brother’s phone. See, at first, my brother got his smartphone when he was in eleventh grade. My dad upgraded his phone to an iPhone 6, and my brother got an HTC. Today, my dad got the iPhone 7, and my brother got the 6 because he is going to college. Now, I want the HTC phone because I don’t have a smartphone. I have fourteen days or less until he returns it. I have to convince my dad, and it’s not going to be easy. My brother will play off the “when I was your age I didn’t have a smartphone because dad never let me.” But I really want it, and I have no ideas how to convince him. My dad is the kind of person who won’t trust people, especially me.
- It can be hard to convince your parents for things, especially big deal items like a phone.
- Ask your father to let you have the phone on his terms. You can try to make a bargain with him. For example, tell your dad that if you get the phone, you will do extra chores or get better grades. Let him know you will work hard for it. On the other hand, if you don’t stick to the deal, your dad’s trust in you may be compromised.
- Write an essay on why you think you are mature enough to have a smart phone, and the reasons why you want it.
- If your dad’s rules on phones are strict, you may just need to follow them. Try understanding the reasons why he does not want you to have a smartphone. There is a good chance he is just looking out for your best interest.
- Why do you want a smartphone?
- Why does your dad not want you to have a smartphone?
- How can talk to your dad about getting a new phone (think of your tone and reasoning)?