Lately, I’ve been feeling lonely and depressed. I do nothing but cry over the most stupid things. My boyfriend has been the only one there for me but he lives very far away. He wants me to come live with him so that I may be happier. My parents get on my case even when I don’t do anything that I should be in trouble for. They make fun of me and pretend I don’t matter at all. I used to think it was me, but now I’m starting to think it’s some type of emotional abuse. It’s hard for me to concentrate in school so I stay home at least once a week. My parents get mad at me and yell at me for it, so I try to go but sometimes I just can’t. I can’t sleep at night at all. I haven’t slept in 3 days. I want to run away to live with my boyfriend, but I’m scared they’ll just find me and bring me back. I know the obvious answer is to stay here and talk to my parents, but that never works for me. I don’t know what else to do. Please help.
- It’s tough when you don’t feel like your parents understand or want to understand your situation. It’s no wonder that you are feeling alone, depressed, and having issues sleeping.
- Try to remind yourself that your parents want what’s best for you and their idea of this may not include you having a long-distance boyfriend or missing out on school. If talking to them about your boyfriend doesn’t seem to get anywhere, try expressing your difficulties sleeping and how it’s affecting both your performance in school and your happiness.
- If this emotional abuse from your parents continues, especially after you attempt to talk to them, look for the next trusted adult in your life. You don’t have to go through this alone; find someone you trust who can help you.
- Lack of sleep can be extremely detrimental to your health and is most likely the source of your lacking concentration in school. It’s no doubt that your issues sleeping stem from your mind being bogged down with worry. Try journaling and write down everything that you’re worried or feel sad about. Use this as a list in which you can tackle each item individually.
- How do you think your boyfriend would respond if you asked him to visit you instead of you visiting him?
- How many friends can you think of that have gone or are going through the same things as you?
- What are some techniques you can try to help you relax and find a healthy sleeping routine?
- How would you advise a close friend that came to you seeking support with this problem?