hi! I have a few struggles I wanted to ask for help on.
this year, my dad died. for obvious reasons I don’t feel like stating the cause but I will indeed disclose that it was a tragedy. I’ve had this everlasting sense of hopelessness ever since it happened. I have plenty of hobbies to use as a distraction, but none of it seems to work. I haven’t told most of my friends either. I had one person I would go to about it the most and we’d exchange grief stories but he also passed in the past few weeks. it’s like I’m losing every bit of support, trust and companionship I have.
another thing is that I’m a (mostly) closeted lesbian. the only family member I could see myself telling was my father. now I feel like I have to take it to the grave. I’m carrying so many weights at once and I don’t know what to do about it anymore
WAYS TO HELP YOURSELF
- First we would like to thank you for posting to TeenCentral for help. Reaching out for help is sometimes hard for people to do so we acknowledge your courage for posting!
- If you are ever feeling unsafe, or you feel so sad that you have no one you can turn to please reach out to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline. They are available 24 hours a day and can be contacted by phone at 1-800-273-8255. If you would feel more comfortable texting you can text “Hello” to 741-741.
- Do you have anyone else you can turn to for advice or help within your family or friends? A trusted teacher, guidance counselor, coach, religious leader, other family members, or other friends could possibly be a shoulder for you to lean on. People around you could have gone through something similar or could help you work through it!
- On TeenCentral we have a page that talks more in depth about the LGBTQ+ community, gender identity, or sexual identity. Click here to get more information about gender identity and ways to come out to your friends and family!
- You said you have attempted hobbies before to help distract yourself and none of them seem to work, have you attempted journaling or writing prompts? Journaling is a great way for someone to identify how their feeling and why they are feeling that way. Click here to look at our resources for writing prompts!