I’m in a world where everyone is tough and I’m standing here in the dark; little and weak. I’m going into high school and I don’t know what to expect. There are three high schools in my area and all of my friends are getting split up. I see people from my middle school and it’s like they have changed and I haven’t. I have two ways I could go. I could go with my old group or go with my new group. But if I go with my new group I feel like I’m leaving some of my best friends behind. I don’t know what to do. I need help.
- Growing up presents many changes and challenges, including going to new schools and making new friends. It is not unusual to have mixed feelings about these things. It can be scary going to a new school, where you don’t really know anyone, but change can be good too. Meeting new people, learning new things, having new experiences its all part of life and part of growing as a person.
- You may want to think about how you can keep your old friends and have new friends. You don’t necessarily have to leave your old friends behind. You may just see them less often.
- You may want to talk to your friends and share how you feel. They may be having similar feelings. Talking about it might make it easier for all of you. You may also want to consider talking to your parents or another trusted adult about how you are feeling.
- You may also want to think about visiting your new school and meeting your teachers before school starts, so you can be more familiar with your surroundings.
- You should also think about things you enjoy doing in school like art or sports and make a point to be part of these things at your new school. It may help you feel more comfortable.
- Everyone changes, it is part of going up. For what reasons do you think that your friends have changed and you have not?
- Take a few minutes and think about yourself when you started middle school and now. How have you changed or grown as a person?
- What are the pros and cons of going to a new school and making new friends?