I used to have the worst anxiety. I couldn’t even talk to my friends without worrying I would say something dumb or that something bad would happen. Then the psychiatrist put me on an antidepressant for my anxiety and eventually an ADHD med and now, I feel like I pretty much just lost my ability to think. Before that was all I ever did, but now it just seems strangely hard and distant?? Like I’d rather have anxiety than that. The strange thing is that I randomly get super panicky. I’ll feel fine, then suddenly I’ll have my hands on my head, quick breathing and freaked out. I just, I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Any ideas? Is there something wrong with me? What should I do?
- It must be so difficult to have to constantly feel like you have to worry about everything all of the time. Reaching out for help is such a great, but difficult first step in getting through this. Thank you for trusting not only us, but yourself enough to know that you’re worth it. Great job.
- Working with a psychiatrist is a great step. Have you tried talking to him/her/them about how you’re feeling on the medication? There are many facets to finding the right medication, dose, etc. and your psychiatrist will know how to proceed in the safest, most effective manner for you. Some medications (or combinations of medications) can cause certain people to have panic episodes or even cause them to have suicide thoughts. So, it’s extremely important to communicate with your doctor about what you are experiencing. You know your body best, so if it doesn’t feel right, then it probably isn’t right.
- Do you have a parent, guardian or another trusted adult that can be a support for you in between your visits with the psychiatrist? It sometimes helps to be able to process your feelings with someone who can help you through it.
- Please remember- if you ever feel so overwhelmed that you start to feel unsafe, there is a crisis hotline that you can call 24 hours a day to help.
Support to all individuals in crisis
Text “HOME” to 741741
- We have many resources out Teen Central that reference anxiety, including developing an understanding and how to cope. Our “Learn” tab has a section devoted to understanding anxiety and we have blogs that reference coping with anxiety in our “What’s New” tab. You may want to take a look at those and see if anything there helps.
- Do you have any interests or hobbies that help you relax? Many people use art, music, exercise, etc. as a means of coping with overwhelming emotions. If you aren’t sure what works for you, we also have some ideas for that in our “Tools” section. Ways to use art, yoga and exercise are all listed there for your reference.
- Be proud that you have the courage insight to know you need help and not be afraid to ask for it. You’re already making great steps for yourself. Keep it up!