I started cutting for real again. What do I do? Last time I hurt and bled before yesterday was 9 or 10 months ago. I started cutting again yesterday. With a butter knife, slice, slice, slice. What do I do?
- It sounds like you did a great job of finding a way of coping without harming yourself for a long period of time. Thank you for reaching out to the TeenCentral Community to hopefully help you find that safer place again. Please know that you are NOT ALONE. Many young people – many people – struggle with with self harm as a way to cope with anxiety and pain. While self harm is not the best way to cope with emotions; it’s still shows that the person (you) are trying your best to get through your struggles and you aren’t giving up. Read other stories on our site and see how many others have gone through the same type of issues.
- Have you taken a look at what has happened recently that may have triggered these harmful coping mechanisms for you? Are they the same as the ones you had in the past? And just as important- have you thought about what made you able to change your coping skills in the past from harmful to safe? Do you have a trusted adult in your life that you can discuss this with?
- If you haven’t already, would you consider seeking counseling? Someone who is trained to help you figure out what’s going on and help you come up with ideas for how to handle it?
- If you need it, there is also a crisis helpline that you can text 24/7 for help.
Support to all individuals in crisis
Text “HELLO” to 741741
- Do you have any hobbies or activities that help you when you’re feeling stressed? Journaling, Art, Music, Sports maybe? Maybe consider spending more time with these outlets if you are feeling more stressed than usual?
- Our website has several blogs and tools with ideas for coping skills. You may want to take a look at our “What’s New” and “Tools” tabs to see if there are any ideas that may help you with ideas for coping skills that may appeal to you.
- Do you like taking walks? Being outside in the sunshine can often help when you’re now feeling yourself. You could try finding a nice place to stroll in the changing leaves, the cool breeze and take in the calming aspects of nature.