I am 13 years old, have 4 siblings, and am faced with an impossible choice. Whether to stay with my mom or my dad. My mom has a history of abuse, but she has gotten better, and I don’t want her to be alone. But if I leave I’m leaving, I leave my siblings and my dad. What do I do?
- Making a big decision can make you feel overwhelmed and alone. You are strong for attempting to make such a mature decision. Reaching out for help is the first step in this process. Thanks for sharing your story with the TeenCentral community.
- If you need someone to talk to, you can head to the Teen Central website and click the Help tab to call a hotline. Try exploring the various topics by clicking on the tabs. Also, consider speaking to a trusted therapist, spiritual leader or school counselor if you feel like this would be helpful.
- When you begin to feel negative or overwhelmed, try repeating positive affirmations to yourself. These grounding techniques can help you reduce anxiety and help keep your calm when faced with difficult decisions.
- Putting your thoughts on paper and writing them out to clarify them may assist with processing this situation. It is sometimes helpful to make a pros and cons list when making big decisions. Try writing down your thoughts to weigh your options. This may help you gather the information you need to make an informed decision.
- You can also try sharing your thoughts with someone you know and trust. Sometimes the biggest help is simply hearing yourself talk out loud about what you are thinking and why you are thinking that way.
- Also consider the impact your decision may have on you, on others, your siblings, your parents, etc. Every decision we make has an impact on the people in our lives. Write down ways your decision would impact you, your parents and your siblings. In what ways can you see your situation in a positive way?