- Being gay can make you feel alone and different. You are strong for accepting yourself as you are and for persevering through circumstances people in the LGBT community often endure.
- If you need someone to talk to, you can head to the Teen Central website and click the Help tab to call one of the LGBT hotlines like Trevor Project Lifeline and Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender National Help Center. You can also speak to a trusted therapist or school counselor.
- You can be positive by repeating positive affirmations to yourself whenever you feel down. Write some things you’re grateful for in a daily journal. Always have something to hope for and look forward to so you don’t spiral into a dark place. This may be reading a favorite book or finding ways to make yourself laugh. The Teen Central website has valuable resources to download under the Tools tab. You can click the Learn tab then Sexuality then LGBTQ to learn more. You can also click the Learn tab to read about other issues you may have. Click the Stories tab to read other stories that have been submitted by troubled teenagers.
- You can try being more spiritual by doing prayer, meditation or yoga. These techniques are often used to calm the body, mind and spirit. You can also attend church services. Spirituality could make your life more meaningful, give you a sense of purpose and safety, and help you be more accepting of why others are so negative in life. Gain a new perspective on life and become more understanding of why people make unwise choices. Spirituality can teach you that everything, whether good or bad, happens for a reason, and life is full of lessons that are meant to make you a better, happier person.
- Sometimes society doesn’t accept us as we are. This can make it difficult for anyone to express their feelings. Be yourself by expressing your feelings in a healthy way through creativity. Some activities you might like are creative writing, drawing, painting, playing a musical instrument or listening to music.
- People often don’t accept different people because they’re ignorant, have conflicting beliefs and/or are negative. Try to minimize your exposure to those that don’t value your existance. Every time someone treats you badly, you can use it as an opportunity to be yourself more in a positive way by doing the things you enjoy and maybe being understanding that they’re probably just negative.
- Instead of letting life bring you down, let it make you a stronger person by being yourself even more. Never let anyone change you because you have your own unique personality and opinions to share with the world. Knowledge is power. Consider educating yourself on why people discriminate against gay people and what you can do about it in a positive way. You can motivate yourself by reading inspirational stories about people who’ve beat the odds to come out stronger. This can include artists, activists and scientists among others.
- One thing you can do is take action in a positive way by volunteering. You might want to train to be a volunteer counselor for the LGBT community, express yourself by helping others through art or write letters to people with depression. Volunteering can help you find people who think like you, share your values and goals, and have a positive outlook on life. You can find opportunities online or in your community by using websites like Volunteermatch.
- You can be hopeful for the future by remembering that some people do genuinely care about others!
- What are some things you can learn from the problems you experience?
- In what ways can having a positive mindset improve your life now and help you have a better future?
- How can being yourself more help you feel less stifled by the judgement of others?
- In what ways do different types of people make positive contributions to the world?