Hi i am a 13yr girl when my parents hit me, yells at me , or gets mad at me i am just thinking about harming myself also. My dream is to stop the harming cause it hurts and i dont wanna see depression people like me being sad, and having depression and i cant have No social media i play a game called roblox but i cant have online friends. God bless you STOP HARMING to all parents seeing this or reading this we are children i know we make mistakes but hiting is the worse and hurts people please.What i say in my mind is that when there child dies couse of there emotions people start crying but when we are alive harm coms.STOP THE THE HARM 🙁 🙂
- Thank you for reaching out to Teen Central about this very painful event. You are brave for speaking up and sharing your experience!
- Having depression and struggling with harming yourself are very serious issues. Sometimes the feelings that lead you to harm yourself can become overwhelming. If you ever feel so overwhelmed or sad that you think about hurting yourself, PLEASE CALL 1-800-273-8255 or text HELLO to 741741. Someone is there to talk 24/7. If you don’t have a phone available, you can use your computer with these links: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ or http://www.crisistextline.org/. Put these numbers in a safe place that you can easily find them.
- Do you have someone in your life that you can talk to about what’s happening at home? Having someone that can just listen, or give you a safe space to go when you’re scared can feel really good. Maybe there’s someone you haven’t thought about before: a neighbor, a spiritual leader, a teacher or guidance counselor (even if you aren’t seeing them in person right now doesn’t mean they can’t help). If you are ever afraid that you will be hurt very badly, please call 911.
- We agree with you that it’s not ok for anyone to be hit or harmed. There is help out there for you and your family. You can call 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) or use the link http://www.childhelpusa.org/. There are people ready to help you and your family get help, and learn how to manage anger and stress safely. If you want to know more about anger, read about it on LEARN / ANGER MANAGEMENT on Teen Central.
- Many people hurt themselves because they are trying to deal with a huge amount of pain. It’s a coping skill, just like other things we do to get through hard times. The problem is that self harm is exactly that – harming yourself. It’s not safe and sometimes can lead to you being injured permanently, becoming very sick, or even dying. Depression and self- harm are both treatable. Read about both on LEARN under Depression and Self Injury. You may benefit from having a therapist help you learn more about self harm and ways to replace it with other skills that are safer.
- Things that we do to feel better can serve “double duty” by also being things that help replace self-harm. What do you do to take care of yourself or have fun? If you enjoy being active, taking a long walk or a run can help burn off energy that you may have used to self harm. If you enjoy art, you can use that to cope with stress too (check out What’s New for Using Art as a Coping Skill). Do you like to be outside? Being with nature can help us feel calm. You could try some of the TOOLS about Meditation and Yoga or Relaxation in LEARN.