I’m being teased and bullied for being a ‘weeb’. I really like anime and the topic in my Spanish class keeps popping up, which is “what sort of television do you like?” And being the idiot that I am, I simply listed nine or ten anime. A few years back, I lost my brother in a shooting and just recently lost my best friend. I have been diagnosed with depression and anime helps me cope with my grief. I don’t plan on discontinuing the act of watching anime but all the other freshman call me a ‘weeb’ and avoid me like the plague. I bought a few anime key chains which are on my backpack, which people pull at all the time. I want to keep the key chains but I feel like they are drawing attention. What am I supposed to do?
- There are many things that people are interested in and anime is one of them. There is no harm in having interest in various other cultures. Anime is very popular interest. Most people tease because they are not familiar with the interest that you have.
- Maybe you can talk with other people that have the same interest you have. Like maybe find a club or group that is also interested in Anime.
- Maybe you can explain to people that are naturally curious why you like Anime. It helps with coping in the loss of your brother and best friend. If you feel comfortable sharing this.
- Bullying is never okay. If you feel like this is making you depressed talk with a school counselor or a trusted adult and see if you can come up with a solution.
- What would happen if you found a club or interest group that also like Anime?
- What would happen if you talked with the other kids about why you are interested in Anime?
- What are some actions steps that you can do to prevent getting bullied?
- What would happen if you talked with a school counselor or trusted adult about you being bullied? What solutions can you come up with?