I am worried I might have depression but I’m not 100% sure and I’m afraid to tell my parents. I’m not sure why I’m afraid to, I don’t get it myself but I am.
- Wondering if you might have depression can make you feel confused and alone. You are strong for admitting you might have a problem although it’s probably difficult to consider.
- If you need someone to talk to, you can head to the Teen Central website and click the Help tab to use a hotline or textline. Click the Stories tab to read stories submitted by other teens and answered by counsellors. Knowledge is power. You can click the Learn tab then Depression, Anxiety, Spirituality or any other topic that might benefit you to learn about. The Tools tab has many helpful resources you can download to help you be more positive, learn yoga and more. Besides this, consider speaking to a trusted therapist, school counsellor or spiritual leader.
- In order to figure out whether you have depression or not, you may need to speak to a trusted therapist. For now, here are a few signs of depression: social isolation, feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness, loss of interest in activities you usually enjoy, self-harm and many more. You can read this article to understand depression better: Teen Depression from MayoClinic.org.
- You can be positive by repeating positive affirmations to yourself when you feel down. Write down a few things you’re grateful for each day in a journal or read inspirational quotes. Be yourself by doing activities you genuinely enjoy, and by spending time with people who care about you as a person. Stay hopeful for the future so you don’t spiral out of control by always having something to look forward to, such as a book you’re reading or movie you want to see. Find something positive to laugh at by watching cartoons, drawing humorous pictures or something else.
- In what ways can having a positive mindset help you improve your life now and in the future?
- How can having healthy relationships help you live a happier, more meaningful life?
- In what ways can educating yourself about any issues you may have, such as depression, help you have power over your circumstances?
- How can speaking to someone you trust help you?