My best friend is going through really bad stuff right now, their parents don’t care about them and they need meds and therapy but they can’t get it. I want to help them but I don’t know how. Do you have any advice?
Helping Your Friend
- It must be very difficult to see your friend suffering. They’re lucky to have someone like you to support them. Thank you for reaching out to Teen Central for help.
- Below are a couple of helplines for your friend depending on what their problems are and how severe they may be. Please remember 911 is always an option if they feel or become unsafe, and please feel free to provide these resources to your friend in case they should need them:
National Suicide Hotline
Helps individuals in suicidal crisis with support
Support to all individuals in crisis
Text “HELLO” to 741741
- Does your friend have a trusted adult in their life that they could go to and discuss what they’re going through? This person may be able to advocate for them in receiving the help they need. This person could also be a person in the community – maybe at school, church, etc. who may be able to guide them in the right direction for resources as well.
- The answers above are for your information in your efforts to help your best friend. Please make sure you are taking care of your own mental and physical health during this situation as well. Seeing others we care about in pain is very difficult to handle and people often forget that they have their own needs to attend to.
- Do you have any hobbies or activities that you enjoy? Sports, music, reading, art- keep these active in your life so that you have an outlet for your emotions as well.
- Your friend is lucky to have you- take care of yourself and thank you for looking out for them.