My Dad Is In Jail
So, my dad is in jail for child pornography. I feel like my girlfriend deserves to know but I have no idea how to tell her. I’m kind of stuck. Any advice?
- Telling your girlfriend negative details about your personal life can make you feel uncomfortable and reluctant. You are genuine for being honest with her even though your dad’s situation must be difficult for you to handle.
- You can try telling your girlfriend exactly how you feel without giving her too many details about your dad. Be responsible while being honest and pay attention to her feelings so she doesn’t feel uncomfortable.
- Before telling her you can write down how you’d like to say it. This way you don’t have to feel put on the spot at the moment you tell her.
- You can tell her over the phone. If you’d like you can explain to her that it makes you feel uncomfortable and maybe embarrassed to tell her face to face.
- Be prepared because your girlfriend may not be able to tolerate the information. Be delicate when telling her because your dad did commit a serious crime.
- You can try using spirituality to guide you. Head to the Teen Central website and click the Learn tab then Spirituality to learn more. You may also try meditation or prayer to inspire you.
- On the Teen Central website, you can click the Help tab to call one of the hotlines if you need someone to talk to.
- How would being honest with your girlfriend improve your relationship with her?
- How can you make sure that you have a bright future and remain positive so you don’t follow your father’s negative pattern?
- Can you put yourself in your girlfriend’s shoes so you can better understand how she will feel when you tell her this vital information?