I’m 14 years old and I’m not as happy as I used to be. Two years ago my mom, my brother, and I had moved out of the house away from my dad because my parents had problems. I don’t get to see him as much as I want to. However, if i feel sad I can easily call or text him. However, I’m not the little girl that my parents used to have anymore. I’ve changed a lot. I get in trouble way too much now, and I no longer feel the same way towards things. My parents don’t trust me anymore and constantly lecture me. Rumors were spread around about me and it doesn’t hurt me, but it has changed the way people see me. I used to be so close with some people and now we don’t talk like we used to. All of these issues have been really annoying. I’ve been depressed about things that don’t even make sense. I sometimes cry myself to sleep because I’m so depressed and I don’t even know what to do anymore. Things in my family have changed as well. My mom doesn’t seem to be happy and I feel that she doesn’t want me going anywhere. The only times that I get out the house is if I’m with my parents. I can never really enjoy spending time with the people that I’m cool with. I have talked to my mom about it, and things changed for the better. But somethings missing and I can’t figure it out.
- It sounds like you’re going through a lot of situations that are not within your control. Rest assured many other teens can relate to these feelings.
- It’s possible that your parents don’t realize the feeling of sadness and depression you’re experiencing at the current moment. Take the time to openly engage them regarding your depression.
- Once you’ve spoken to them (separately is fine), you might consider asking your mom if you could see a counselor/therapist.
- Many teens find it helpful to have a hobby or activity that they enjoy to take their minds off of the stressors they’re dealing with. It could be music, art, exercise, meditation, etc.
- By speaking to someone other than your parents about what’s bothering you you might be able to pinpoint what it is exactly that’s missing from your life right now that’s causing you sadness.
- Keep in mind that teenage years are often hard, but things will always get better.
- You mentioned you have spoken with your mom and things have gotten better. What has gotten better? Does she understand you need to see your friends?
- How do you feel about speaking to a counselor/therapist about how you’re feeling right now?
- What are some activities that you enjoy? How can you employ these activities to alleviated some of the dark feelings you’re experiencing?
- How do you feel about speaking to each of your parents about your depression? How do you think they’d react?
- How would you advise your closest friend if they came to you with this situation?