So I’m lesbian, my dad now hates me because I’m lesbian. Should I change? Or just be myself. I like a girl in my class but I’m scared to ask her out cuz I don’t know if she is bi or lesbian or even likes me.
- Being afraid to be yourself can make you feel frustrated and uncomfortable in your own skin. You are brave for facing the facts and trying to stay true to yourself. Thank you for coming forward and sharing your story with the TeenCentral community.
- It must feel extremely lonely to know that your dad has such negative feelings towards you now that you’ve shared such sensitive information with him. If you haven’t already looked at this information please take some time to review the information we have on the TeenCentral website. If you are feeling like you’d like to talk to someone and receive immediate feedback here is a support line from our HELP PAGE – Support for LGBT youth Youth Talkline: 1800-246-PRIDE (7743) or visit http://www.glbthotline.org/youth-talkline.html. I’ve also provided a few direct links for you below so that you don’t have to go looking for a needle in a haystack!
- LEARN tab – Sexuality / LGBTQ Information
- TOOLS tab – My Support Plan downloadable
- What’s New Blog – LGBTQ Respect Article
- Besides your dad has there been anyone else in your life – a trusted adult – who HAS been supportive of your coming out? Would that person be willing to talk with you about some of the new questions you have? I ask this only because sometimes it can be really helpful to have a face to face conversation with someone you know instead of with someone behind a computer or phone screen. If you don’t have someone, that’s completely understandable – we have plenty of resources that can be directed to you.
- We often ask this first at TeenCentral because it’s such a valuable tool, but do you keep a journal? If you do, try to use the following question as a writing prompt today… “Why do you think your dad is having such a strong reaction to your coming out?” Thinking through this question may be helpful even though you most likely have already decided that his response is not a good one. You want, and certainly deserve support, as you navigate your teen journey.
- If writing isn’t your thing perhaps consider artistic expression. You might use magazine collage to make a self-portrait of yourself. These are always quite interesting and when complete, can teach us many things about how we see ourselves in certain situations.
- Most importantly, we at TeenCentral would like to encourage you to take good care of yourself as you walk through this difficult scenario. Read some other stories on the site and remind yourself that you are NEVER ALONE. Others have gone through similar situations and made it through! The feedback given to them may be helpful to you as well. Also look through the website for information and tools that may be helpful. TeenCentral is always here for you!